Officials from the U.S. and North Korea are reportedly discussing a possible third summit between President Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un.
That’s according to the president of South Korea, who told the Associated Press that the two sides are currently engaged in “behind-the-scenes talks.”
The news came after North Korea’s Foreign Ministry criticized the U.S. on Wednesday for extending sanctions on the country.
In a statement, a ministry spokesperson said, “If anyone dares to trample over our sovereignty and the right to existence, we will not hesitate to pull a muscle-flexing trigger in order to defend ourselves.”
The two countries have seemingly been deadlocked since President Trump and Kim’s Vietnam summit earlier this year. It ultimately ended with the two leaders unable to agree on steps toward denuclearization and lifting U.S. sanctions.
Since then, North Korean officials have repeatedly urged the U.S. to come up with a new approach. And Kim has even set a year-end deadline for the U.S. to draw up mutually acceptable terms to salvage negotiations.
Despite the stalled negotiations, President Trump and Kim recently exchanged personal letters. Although the contents were not disclosed, President Trump called Kim’s note “beautiful,” while Kim described the commander in chief’s letter as “excellent.”
*story by NEWSY