A man who kicked a rough sleeper in the face asked to move prisons after receiving death threats.
Theo Maulba kicked the man as he sat outside Tesco Express on Dale Street in Liverpool city centre.
Maulba kicked him to the head which ’caused his head to recoil,’ a court heard.
Shocking footage of the incident, which shows the 24-year-old talk angrily to the “vulnerable” victim before kicking him, went viral on social media and sparked an investigation after it was sent to police.
Maulba will now spend the festive season and New Year behind bars, the Liverpool Echo reports.
Maulba appeared in Sefton Magistrates’ Court on Monday, December 14, where he admitted assault by beating and possession of a class B drug.
He appeared in the dock in a grey tracksuit and spoke to confirm his name, date of birth and address.
After he was handed a 16-week prison sentence Maulba addressed the court once more to request to move prisons.
He said: “You know cause I’ve had death threats, can you send me to a different prison?”
Carl Nadim, defending, had earlier told the court that Maulba had received death threats as a result of the footage being posted on social media.
District Judge Wendy Lloyd told Maulba that a request for him to be moved from HMP Liverpool in Walton would be made.
During the court proceedings Hannah Scott, prosecuting, outlined how on December 9 an unknown man was sat outside the Tesco when two men on bikes approached.
She explained the two males left before Maulba approached “on a push bike” and is seen “leaning over the victim” in an “agitated” state.
The court heard how Maulba kicked him to the head which “causes his head to recoil”.
Police were later provided with the footage and approached the victim, who did not wish to provide an interview and “said he did not report the incident”.
After Maulba was identified police attended his address and discovered spice, a synthetic drug casually known as a ‘legal high’ although it was made illegal in recent years.
He has 27 conviction for 35 offences including two offences of common assault in 2010 and 2013 respectively.
Mr Nadim, defending, explained that Maulba admitted the offences at the earliest opportunity.
He said: “The victim in this case is a friend and is known to Mr Maulba.
“He has been a person who has frequented the homeless lifestyle himself and he has become friends with the victim.”
Mr Nadim explained that both the defendant and the victim receive benefits and Maulba spent his money on spice with the victim expected to do the same.
He said: “They had the spice and he was meant to reciprocate the next day with Maulba meeting the victim and them embarking on a spice session.
“The next day when Mr Maulba attended, his friend hasn’t been present and he hasn’t been able to find him.”
Mr Nadim told the court Maulba has been the victim of a “very serious assault” a couple of years ago, “where he was stabbed” and explained Maulba wants to get help for his “problem with spice”.
He said: “He accepts its taking control of him”, adding “he wants to seek help”.
District Judge Lloyd, sentencing Maulba, said: “I haven’t seen the CCTV, I have had a good clear breakdown of the footage. You seem to be leaning over, you are agitated.
“He is on the floor and you kick him when he is vulnerable and unable to defend himself. You can see his head go back.”
Following the yesterday’s court hearing detective inspector Jennie Beck, of Merseyside Police, said: “We welcome today’s sentencing, which has seen a very swift resolution to an incident which understandably caused a lot of concern and distress to anyone who saw the footage.
“Maulba will now spend the festive season and New Year behind bars, and I hope he spends that time thinking very hard about his behaviour that night, and the impact it has had.
“Thankfully the victim was not seriously hurt, but his actions appalled and upset so many. “He is now in prison and safe from hurting anyone else so mindlessly on our streets.”
Det Insp Beck added: “Many people these days carry camera phones, and thankfully when people have captured evidence of crime on their phone, or on CCTV or dashcam, they have submitted it to the police and helped bring justice for victims.
“I would like to take this opportunity to ask people to consider sending us any footage they think may assist investigations into an incident before sharing it online, and allow us to carry out enquiries.”
*story by Mirror Online